You might remember my last post about the Marius sweater melt down. Well, let me tell you, there have been more, many many more of them since last Saturday.
I slept on the issue about cutting up holes for the arms, and decided to ask the internet for help. There is a facebook group where people post pictures and asks questions about Norwegian sweaters. So I posted the question about if it is possible to avoid cutting. There were a lot of answers that weren’t really helpful, and a few that was. So I decided to knit the front and back separately back and forth and sew the arms on afterwards. The only issue would be to knit the pattern on the wrong side. Some people say that is difficult, and suggest to knit backwards instead.
So I picked up the sweater for the 6 year old and started on the pattern. After a few rounds I divided it up and knitted back and forth. I tried knitting it both backwards, and on the wrong side. Both went a bit slow, but worked fine. When I was about halfway done with the pattern on the front (27 rounds), I decided to measure the sweater. I saw that the pattern was a bit longer than it was supposed to, and checked the overall gauge. To my horror I found out that the gauge was 24 sts/10 cm instead of 27. So the sweater was 10 cm too wide, and the model is already of a really baggy sweater. So I checked everything else I had knitted and came to the conclusion that I had two sleeves with the right gauge for size 4. The sweaters on the other hand were both way of. The size 6 had the width for a size 10 or 12 year old and had started the colour pattern at the length for size 6. I had a faint hope that the smallest one could be used for the oldest one, but alas. The sweater that was supposed to be in size 4, was instead in size 8 and I had knit 16 cm of it. It was then 4,5 weeks until Christmas and 2,5 until my visit to Oslo where I had hoped I could deliver them ahead of time. So that I could have time to focus on the other presents.
I have been home from work most of the week with a really bad cold and therefore had plenty of knitting time. So I decided to just jump in and start the size 6 all over again. I had knitted the rib on 2.75 mm and the body with 3.0 mm and thought the rib was too tight compared to the body. So I knitted the rib in 3.5 mm and switched to 2.0 mm on the body. After 5 cm rib and a few cm of the body, I realized that I now had the opposite problem. The rib was too loose. So I had to frog it again.
I then started all over again with smaller needles for the rib. After a few rounds I realized that I had twisted the stitches on the needle, and I had to frog that attempt as well. I should have realized at this point that starting new things while frustrated and sick, wasn’t the best combination, but I didn’t. So I decided to try a new cast on technique that would look so much better on the edge. I used one or two hours just casting it on, and after knitting it for a round or two, I could see that it was actually really ugly. So I frogged that as well.
The next attempt was much better and I knitted away with needle 2.5 mm on the rib and 2.0 mm on the body. It was extremely boring to knit around and around in one colour, but I tried to hang in there. I could only find needles that were 40 or 80 cm long, so I switched a bit back and forth because nothing was really comfortable.
After a break yesterday, I knitted some more on the body today. Some time during the day I realized that I don’t want to put myself through the stress of trying to finish both sweaters by Christmas. So I decided to knit a Marius hat for the youngest one that could match the sweater he will receive a month later for his birthday. The sweater pattern also had a hat pattern for the same yarn, so I cast on. The pattern is for the sizes 2-4 and 6-12 years old. I’m appearently still a bit sick, because I cast on for the biggest size, because for a split second I thought so would knit it for the five year old, even though I had decided to knit it for the two year old. I also used needle 2.5 mm on both the rib and main part, not quite sure why. At some point not long after I realized the first mistake, but since the rib was tighter than 40 cm, I decided it was okay, it would just be a bit baggy. But when I was over halfway into the pattern I wanted to check the size because I thought it looked kind of small. I had checked the gauge multiple times and knew that was okay and the hat had a circumference of 44 cm. I checked that up against some other pattern sizes, and felt like crying. To repeat, this pattern said that a size 2-4 year old is 40 cm. All other patterns I consulted says approximately 46-52 cm for a 2-3 year old.
So what the f… is wrong with this pattern? Why the h… is this happening to me? And this time it wasn’t even my fault. So it is again time to sleep on it so I won’t do anything hasty.
To sum it up, in the last week I have knit about 27 rounds of pattern on the biggest size and continues on the main part of the smallest size. I have had to discard about 55-60 cm of sweater knitting. I have tried to cast on the the biggest sweater four times and have frogged about 10 cm in the process. I have had a day break to knit on something else to not get totally mad. And I have knit half a Marius hat that will most likely fit a baby the age of 9-12 months. Who knew that staying home with a nasty cold and knitting for five days would end up this disastrous. I’m not sure I’ll be able to pick it up again with this many mistakes around every turn. Time will tell. I just wish the receipients’ mother didn’t know about them, because then I could have just quit without having to explain it.